Thursday, November 1, 2007

We Own You

I will be responding to the “Fresh Air” radio thing we heard in class. I would have to say that I had some problems with the interview, mostly based on information. I am going to guess that the guy who wrote seven books or whatever knows what he is talking about and has proof to back up the claims he makes but it wasn’t there in the interview. The interview lacked any evidence and it could have been just some guy saying some things that he thinks are taking place. Going on the assumption that the claims he made are very true, non-biased and has proof to prove their validity is how I will respond. I think a lot of good points were made during that interview, especially comparing the two different cultures. Showing how cultures differ is essential before talking about their working conditions. The fact that he explained what their (Chinese) culture is like and how they react to these factories and working conditions I would say is a plus to having any understanding. For Americans, at least some of us, working 12 to 18 hour days would be nuts, while others of us to that. For Americans making 130 a month would be crazy, but that is not compared to making only 100 a year before the factories. With that information we could adjust it to fit our wages and cost of living, which he did do. He compared minimum wage here compared to working in the factory and let me tell you from personal experience, I think I might rather work in the factory. Now I do not know all the ins and outs of the factories, like do they really have to stay there if they work there, but comparing how much money they make in one month being more then they make in one year it is good for them. Now of course these corporations could easily pay the workers more but then they would lose profits. There is no difference here in the United States. Wal-Mart for example could easily pay their workers more money with the billions they are raking in from unjust ways of labor and benefits, but do they? No, of course not, then they wouldn’t make profits. Now are we globalizing or corrupting China by doing this or being helpful? A little of both, these people are getting shelter, food and money (lots of money in comparison) but we are also giving them pollution and harsh working environments with the potential of slavery like work. On the surface it seems good but I think in the long run it will backfire in some way, either with pulling the factories out for someplace that can go even faster and cheaper thus causing a depression maybe or by the workers having a “uprising” if you will and getting better jobs or starting their own thing.

No comments: