Monday, September 17, 2007

For Class on Thursday

As a reminder, here is what you should have done by class on Thursday:
  • Read pages 89-111 in the Schechner book (starting the chapter on "Play")
  • Have your second one-page response paper ready to turn in
  • Post your response to our in-class observational visit to the Recreation Center on the blog (thanks to Chris who has already done this!)
  • Add four new links to your del.icio.us site with explanatory sentences
As always, email me with questions if you have any, and check your calendars so that you can let me know if you are able to attend the free performance of Truth in Translation at Colorado College on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 2pm.

1 comment:

levi smith said...

When I went into the Rec center to observe the weight lifters the first thing I noticed was the general dislike of me since it was apparent I had no intentions of "puming iron". So I took a chair and silently observed the heavy weights as they went about their usual routine. One would expect the smell to be absolutely gut-wrenching but I believe since the building was new and the door was open it had some venting action. (thank god) I noticed there was a largo ego floating around the room and since I couldn't pinpoint the source I figured it was all of the macho men. When a female came into the room I couldn't help but notice how all the macho men nonchalantly congregated around the immediate area of the girl. Not necessarily to show off but, well, to show off. Most of the lifters seemed to have a partner for an ego boost and moral support. The music wasn't very good, except for some Prince that came on, and even that doesn't seem like appropriate music for getting amped up. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for improving your body, but why attach the underlying ego and attitude? That can lead to intimidation and a hostile enviroment, which I saw when a skinnier more modest person came in to lift. He didn't start lifting because of the men on the machines, and it was clear he was intimidated by their stature and menacing glares. No smiles between strangers, that seems to be the only rule.